Help for the Ukrainian refugees
Help for the Ukrainian refugees. War has come to Ukraine. Along with the entire country, the residents of Wageningen are also deeply concerned. Some Ukrainians fleeing their country will come to the Netherlands and some may also end up in Wageningen. Perhaps you know some Ukrainians who need help or others who want to help them? Or perhaps you would like to offer your help? Below, you can find answers to some of the questions you may have. We will constantly be updating the information included in the overview below.
Is the answer to your question not listed? Please visit www.refugeehelp.nl. This website is available in Dutch, English, Ukrainian and Russian. Also visit the website of the Dutch government for more information. Or contact Startpunt.
How to provide help in Wageningen?
- Make space available for a few months: Register your room, home or other space at welsaam.nl/oekraine. Welsaam collects the applications and is in contact with the host families. Together with the municipality, they look at flowing through from the WICC hotel to the host families. Careful consideration is given to whether it is appropriate. Therefore, it may take some time before you hear anything about your application. Tip: First read the 10 tips for accommodating a refugee from Takecarebnb.
- Organize a local campaign: Register your local campaign via welsaam.nl/oekraine. This keeps an overview of what is happening in our city. There is also a Facebook page for Welsaam Ukraine aid for sharing campaigns.
- Become a volunteer: Sign up as a volunteer via welsaam.nl/oekraine.
- Donate money to the Steunfonds Vluchtelingen Wageningen.
- Bicycles and laptops can be dropped off at the Chip Shop. Would you like to donate several laptops as a company? Then contact the Wageningse Uitdaging. Send an e-mail to email@example.com or call (06) 50 52 89 28.
Does it have consequences for the municipal tax if I offer accommodation?
No, this has no consequences for the municipal tax. You will not have to pay more.
Can I also accommodate refugees in my rental property?
The Woningstichting is flexible when it comes to accommodating refugees in rented accommodation. It is important however to report this to the Housing Association. Are you not a tenant of the Housing Association but do rent a house? Then please consult your landlord.
How long do I have to make housing available?
Making your home available for hosting refugees from Ukraine is done on a voluntary basis. We assume an availability of 3 months. After that period the municipality, in consultation and cooperation with Welkom in Wageningen, will take care of reception afterwards.
Can I stop earlier with the reception of refugees at home?
Making your house available for the reception of refugees is done on a voluntary basis. Please contact Welkom in Wageningen when staying at your home is no longer possible. If necessary, Welkom inWageningen will take care of another location together with the municipality.
Where can I find more information for host families?
The Gelderland Midden Safety and Health Region (VGGM) is coordinating the reception of refugees in our region. In our whole region (15 municipalities) 2000 places are needed. Wageningen is currently hosting about 170 refugees.
Where are refugees accommodated?
Until May 11, refugees were staying at Hotel WICC. Meanwhile, the refugees who were staying there have been moved to other locations.
The refugees have been accommodated in 3 smaller temporary reception locations. It concerns 1 building on the Haarweg and 2 on the Mondriaanlaan. A total of approximately 70 refugees can be accommodated at these 3 locations. In the building on the Haarweg the refugees can stay for 3 months and in the 2 buildings on the Mondriaanlaan for 3 months and 1 year respectively.
Some refugees have also been transferred to host families. At this moment approximately 100 refugees are living in host families. Welcome in Wageningen Welcome to Wageningen screens host families.
For the future, the municipality of Wageningen and local partners, together with the region and national government, continue to look for structural locations for refugees.
How long may Ukrainian refugees stay in the Netherlands?
Can Ukrainian refugees register with the municipality?
Yes, refugees with Ukrainian nationality can be officially registered when they are (temporarily) staying in Wageningen. This also applies to students and migrants from other countries who lived in Ukraine with permission before February 24, 2022. To register in person at the town hall an appointment can be made online at the Civil Affairs desk. Or call (0317) 49 29 11. A passport or other proof of identity is required. If a refugee doesn’t have a passport or other proof identity, the municipality will make an appointment to take a statement under oath or making a promise. So that the person can still register. Registration is necessary in order to receive your allowance.
Consultation time of Refugee Council Wageningen
For all questions you are welcome to attend the special consultation time of Refugee Council Wageningen on Ukraine. This consultation hour is every Tuesday and Thursday from 10 a.m. to 12.00 p.m at Markt 17. There is also an interpreter. The telephone number of the Refugee Council for Ukrainians is (06) 86 14 68 86. If (more) care and support is required, Refugee Council Wageningen will contact Startpunt.
Are Ukrainian refugees entitled to an allowance?
Refugees in host families and in shelters are entitled to living expenses. In order to receive the living allowance, you must first register with the municipality. As soon as you are registered, we will inform you about the way in which you will receive the money. For the living allowance amounts, see the website of the Government of the Netherlands.
Is there an acute financial urge for basic needs? Visit the consultation hour Ukraine of Refugee Council Wageningen. This consultation is every Tuesday and Friday from 10.00 a.m. to 12.00 p.m, address Markt 17. Or in case of an emergency call the mobile number of Refugee Council Wageningen (06) 86 14 68 86.
When does the entitlement to a living allowance stop?
Entitlement to a living allowance ceases when you start working. Family members who are not working will still be entitled to a living allowance. When they stop working, entitlement to the living allowance starts again. Changes in the working situation should always be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Where can a bank account be opened?
A bank account can be opened at most Dutch banks. Do you need help with this? Then visit the open office of the Dutch Council for Refugees on Tuesday and Friday between 10.00 and 12.00 at Markt 17 in Wageningen.
What are the rules for working?
- Registration in the Basic Registration of Persons (BRP) is compulsory.
- The employer does not need a work permit. The employer does need to report to the UWV.
- A Dutch bank account is required.
- Health care insurance must be taken out.
- You may be entitled to care allowance. This is a compensation for the costs of health insurance. This must be requested from the tax authorities. If you need help applying for health insurance and care allowance, you can visit the consultation hour of VluchtelingenWerk Wageningen. These consultations are held every Tuesday and Friday between 10.00 and 12.00 hours at Markt 17 in Wageningen.
Do you have questions about work? Every Monday morning between 9.00 and 11.00 there is a consultation hour about work in the City Hall. You can go there without an appointment.
Where can Ukrainian refugees go for (medical) care and support?
For questions about care and support, please contact Startpunt.
Refugees staying with a host family can seek medical care from the family doctor. Refugees without travel medical insurance fall under the uninsured scheme. This means that acutely necessary care is fully paid for by the Centraal Administratie Kantoor (CAK). Read more information on Zorgverzekeringslijn website. Do you have any questions about this? Please contact Startpunt.
What opportunities are there for education?
- Elementary school children in Wageningen can attend the transition classes at OBS De Wereld or OBS De Tarthorst. Families can contact the school themselves.
- For young people from 12 to 18, there is an educational programme at Pantarijn’s VMBO location, Hollandseweg 9, Wageningen. Read more information and download the application form on the Pantarijn website.
- WUR has some programs open to students from Ukraine. Read more information here.
What are contact addresses at different sports associations?
- Tennis Association NVTLB, e-mail email@example.com.
- Athletics club Pallas’ 67, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Strength training adults and elderly, Clever More, e-mail email@example.com.
- Football club SKV, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- La Prime, fencing, e-mail email@example.com
RCW (Rugby), e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Where can refugees from Ukraine meet in Wageningen?
There are several activities for refugees. For example refugees can meet at different places, but there are also language lessons and activities for children. Check the website of Welsaam for the calendar of activities for refugees from Ukraine.
What are the possibilities for transport?
You will soon receive a pass to travel by bus and train throughout the Netherlands. You have to make sure that you put money on this pass. You will receive information about this.