Moving from abroad

Moving from abroad

Are you moving from abroad to Wageningen (immigration), or will you be in the Netherlands for at least 4 months in the next six months? If so, you will have to register in person with the municipality. If you have a partner and/or children who also need to be registered, they must come with you. If you have lived in the Netherlands before, but emigrated before October 1994, you must also make a 'first registration'.

Bringing along

  • A valid identity document
  • A travel document or other document proving nationality
  • If born abroad: a birth certificate. Depending on the country of birth, it may be required that the document has been legalised. The legalisation requirements are described in a circular from the Ministry of Justice on Legalisation and Verification of Foreign Documents.
  • In the case of a foreign nationality, proof of lawful residence. This does not apply to nationals of the European Union
  • If applicable: a marriage certificate, a divorce certificate, a death certificate as proof that the marriage has been dissolved by death, birth certificates of the children, etc. Here, too, the legalisation requirement may apply.
  • Proof of deregistration from citizens of the Netherlands Antilles or Aruba
  • A rental or purchase contract or a written statement from the principal occupant of the property and his or her identity document

All deeds must be original.

Deeds must be submitted in a language we can read (Dutch, French, German, English). This means that a sworn translation is required if you have a deed that cannot be read by us. A sworn translation must be attached to the original document.


You must go to the municipality within 5 working days after your arrival in the Netherlands. If you do not comply with the declaration deadline, the municipality may impose a fine on you.

Registration in the BRP (Basic Registration of Persons) is free of charge. If you want a certificate of registration (extract BRP), the costs are € 19.40.

More information

Publiekszaken, tel. (0317) 49 29 11,

Moving within the Netherlands